Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! We know what you’re thinking…being a parent is hard enough on its own! Now we want you to think about limiting your use of plastics on top of it?! Well, the good news is we have some simple solutions for you to help leave the world in better shape for your children.
1. Save all your bags from other shops or better yet invest in non plastic ones to reuse Cloth totes from events, your old beach bag, and that random plastic bag from Tesco can be used when you do your food shop. Parent Pro Tip: Leave them in your car for easy access for shopping trips.
2. Ditch the one-time-use water bottles and swap them out for reusable stainless steel or glass water bottles instead—get one for each member of your family!
3. On lunch duty? Bento boxes and reusable containers create less waste and are also are great for sharing on insta.
4. Buy plastic-free containers like glass or metal jars.
5. When possible, buy used items. Need a baby swing or high chair? Most baby goods are hardly used, with a little bit of elbow grease you’ll have brand new baby gear for a fraction of the cost.
6. Bye, Bye, Straws. If you’re eating out at a restaurant, ask them to skip the plastic straw. And if your kids like using straws at home, buy steel straws that can be washed and reused.
7. Upgrade your cutlery. Make sure your little one has a reusable spoon, fork and knife in their lunchbox if they need it so that they don’t have to use plastic cutlery.
8. When you’re out for ice cream, choose a cone. Less plastic and more tasty treats…win-win!
9. Visit the farmers market! Shopping local where you can buy in bulk gives back in more ways than one, plus you can shop with your own containers.
Even the smallest of changes can make the biggest impact. It all starts at home and children learn when you lead by example. Set a goal to make one change per month and the task won’t feel so overwhelming. What the first change you plan to make in your home to reduce plastic use? Tell us in the comment below.
Its quite simple to make these changes, if you are a new mum you may be interested in our new mama eco-friendly gift box coming to our store in January. You can enter competition to win one in November find us on facebook, you'll see what to do!
Or if you are just starting out as an eco-friendly mum, subscribe to our box for eco-friendly subscription box for a variety of useful produts delivered straight to your door every month.